Tutors - teaching students with TeachTutti
TeachTutti is an education platform - tutors list their profiles and prospective students book ongoing lessons with the site. It was built in 2013 by Liam Hindson, a music tutor based in London. Liam wanted to build a platform that is easy to use and considers the needs of both student and tutor, allowing long-term tutoring relationships to flourish. The platform continues to be developed in part through feedback from the tutor community.
Why teach with TeachTutti?
There are many benefits for tutors that choose to teach with TeachTutti. Some of the main benefits are below:
- Teaching flexibility | You set availability on your TeachTutti calendar and update it whenever you need. Lessons can be at any time, decided between yourself and the student. Tuition can fit perfectly alongside any other work or study commitments you may have.
- Pick your subject | We have over 180 subjects to choose from so chances are we cover what you teach. If you have suggestions for new subjects to list, please let us know.
- Lesson location | You can teach from your home, travel to the student, or/and teach online. Select your own unique pricing for each teaching location that students can view on your tutor profile. For example, you may want to charge more for lessons travelling to the student than teaching virtually.
- Travel distance | If you decide to travel to the student, you can select how far you're willing to travel from your address. Prospective students will see this when they make a booking request in this teaching location.
- No hidden fees | The 12% TeachTutti fee is charged to the student and isn't deducted from tutor earnings. TeachTutti are unique in this approach - what you charge is what you earn, 100%. We believe strongly in transparency and clearly show the TeachTutti fee to students when they book a lesson.
- Lesson claim | Invoicing for completed lessons is quick and easy from your tutor account. Lessons are paid weekly on Friday by bank transfer. Tutors can also claim for any lessons that a cancelled within 24 hours (tutors have the option to issue a warning on the first late note cancellation if you are concerned about damaging your relationship with the student).
- Ease of use | Tutors can message students easily through the TeachTutti messaging platform. Students will normally make an enquiry before booking a lesson so it's best to keep on top of messages.
- Support | It goes without saying that TeachTutti provide ongoing support for tutors. We value the relationship with our tutors and do all we can to find suitable students and manage any issues. We are always looking to develop the platform in part through feedback from tutors.
- Toptutor | Quality tutors who have proven their high standard of teaching are rewarded with Toptutor status. This status grants greater visibility on the platform and leads to more bookings. Follow the link for more information about Toptutors.
What happens when I get a student?
Prosective students normally message a tutor first to ask questions, such as confirming teaching availability. Try to respond promptly as these enquiries normally lead to bookings. When the student is ready to arrange a lesson, the booking request will only be processed when they have created a payment method.
You'll be notified of a booking by text and email. You can accept or decline the booking. Alternatively, if you are not available at the booking date, you can update your calendar and send this availability back to the student to select another lesson time. If we don't hear from you within 48 hours, the booking request will be cancelled.
There are two booking options for students, "Ongoing" for long-term tuition (such as learning a musical instrument) and "Fixed" for a set number lessons before the booking closes (such as preparing for an exam). You can decide if you want to teach both booking types and set a minimum number of lessons for Fixed tuition.
If the student continues after the first lesson, they are billed in a rolling block of 4 lessons. These lessons can be taken at any time and are arranged between yourself and the student; they don't need to be weekly. Remember to invoice TeachTutti punctually after each lesson. All invoiced lessons will be paid weekly on Friday by bank transfer.
How to become a tutor
It is free to become a tutor with TeachTutti. Creating a profile is straightforward and support is available through live chat to walk you through the sign up process.
Creating your tutor profile will require the following information:
- Profile picture | You only need to give one photo but you can upload more if you choose. You can also record a short introductory video for prospective students.
- Qualification | You need to provide proof of one qualification. If you are a student, this can be a qualification you are currently studying towards: if so, please upload proof of study.
- Safety-check | Tutors are required to have an enhanced DBS check. This can be a physical check or an enrolment to the DBS Update Service. If you don't have an enhanced DBS check, you can arrange a check with TeachTutti during registration. Please note - your profile can be listed without a safety check, in which case you will be required to arrange a check when you accept your first booking.
- Testimonial | Please give the contact details for a current or former student so that a reference can be collected. The referee will only be contacted to collect a testimonial, which will appear on your tutor profile.